Friday, April 11, 2014

Clinic

Thursday Ryan and I went to a multidisciplinary clinic at the Cancer Center at IMC. Apparently on Thursday mornings a big group of different doctors get together and talk about different cases, like mine, then they meet with the selected patient.We met with a surgeon first, then a radiation oncologist, then the medical oncologist. After the doctors we met with a long list of support people like a genetic counselor, 2 different social workers, a dietician, each came in individually and talked to us for 15-30 minutes...it was a long but good day. We didn't really learn anything new. Basically the medical oncologist said since my cancer is so early and we don't need to do chemo and because we are trying to have kids I won't be on tamoxifen, he didn't have anything for me. Every one agrees that mastectomy is still recommended. If we only do a right mastectomy I have to have an ultrasound biopsy of the spot on my left breast to make sure it isn't cancerous or anything. There is still the option (according to the radiation oncologist) that we can do a lumpectomy and radiation on the right side. But where I already have cancer on that side and a few other spots that would also need to be biopsied if we did that, I think mastectomy would be best. I thought I had decided on a double mastectomy, but after talking to all the doctors about just a right mastectomy it is something I need to think about. We have an appointment next Thursday with a different surgeon (hopefully one who will be a little more personable and easier to talk to) hopefully we will have decided then and can do some scheduling. We have to coordinate the surgeon and plastic surgeons schedules. Whatever we choose to do I hope we can do it sooner rather than later. We have been given so much good information and have so much support not only from doctors and other support staff, but also from friends and family. It has been a little hard for me to put so much information out there, but I hope it helps and everyone can know what is going on. Thanks again for your love and support! We are so blessed!

1 comment:

Liliya said...

That would be hard to talk to so many people, my head would be spinning! You guys are doing so well, taking everything in stride. I guess you never know what you can endure till you face it. I hope you keep getting the best information to make your decisions.