Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A difficult diagnosis

I don't really know the best way to go about this. It seems awkward to call people and tell them, and I really don't want to have that conversation that many times! I am not looking for sympathy I just want to let you know what is going on. I figure at some point people are going to start hearing things and I would rather you hear it from me, so here goes... I have the BRCA2 gene mutation, I have known about it for awhile now. Because I have this gene I have a higher risk of getting breast cancer. I have been getting mammograms and breast MRI's yearly to screen for cancer. On March 7 I had my annual mammogram, I got a call a couple days later saying they found some calcifications on my mammogram and want to get a better look so I went back in for another mammogram to magnify the area. The calcifications looked suspicious so they wanted to do a biopsy. I had a biopsy on March 21. On the 25 I got a call that the calcifications were cancerous. I was diagnosed with DCIS or Ductal Carcinoma In Situ, stage 0. Which basically means that the cancer cells are contained inside the duct, they have not invaded the cell wall of the duct or the surrounding tissue or lymph nodes.I had an MRI on Monday to make sure the cancer had not spread and there was nothing in the other breast that the mammogram missed, I don't have results back, but should by the end of the week. I have met with a breast surgeon and plastic surgeon and next week I will meet with a team of doctors and then an oncologist. It has been pretty overwhelming. We are still going over options at this point. But most likely I will have a double mastectomy because of the BRCA2 gene and my risk of the cancer coming back. After the mastectomy I will have less than a 5% chance of getting breast cancer again. Like I said we are still talking to doctors about options and I don't have any surgery scheduled at this time. For those of you who are wondering, yes we have been trying to get pregnant. I started the first round of Clomid in March. Actually at the time I was diagnosed we thought I might be pregnant. I was in the middle of mammograms and biopsy and the OB called and said my progesterone level was high, which meant that "hopefully" I had ovulated and "possibly" I was pregnant. Well I'm not. Maybe it's a blessing at this point, but still disappointing. We will continue trying after surgery, I'm not sure on all the details yet. This is a lot of personal information for me to share, I don't really love throwing my personal information out there on the internet. However impersonal it may seem to some of you that this is the way I have chosen to inform you of my diagnosis, I hope you will support me and not criticize me. It is a lot to deal with and talking about it can be really hard. I am not by any means saying I don't want to talk to people I just couldn't have this conversation that many times. Please feel free to call me anytime. I have been in contact with a few other BRCA2/post mastectomy women and (at least at the moment) feel inspired to keep track of what is going on and maybe help someone else in a similar situation. One of the hardest things for me to reconcile has been that I am not sick. I feel fine, I am otherwise healthy, but I have cancer. I hope to continue to update the blog as we go along and find out more information. I probably won't post much on Facebook about this. My work has been fantastic about helping me work my schedule out around doctor appointments and so has Ryan's. We are very blessed. Thank you all for your love and support.

13 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

You have been in our thoughts and prayers and you will continue to be. We love you guys and wish there was more we could do to help.

Jennifer Armitstead said...

Thank you for sharing... Sending you love and prayers. I'm totally down for a girls night out if ever you want to play. *hugs*

Morgan said...

Hey Brittney,

I know it's hard to share all of this. I know you have a lot of support around you and that the Lord is with you. Josh and I have been going through similar things as the doctors thought he had leukemia. Luckily the biopsy came back negative! But it was about a week and a half that we were certain that he did have cancer... what an emotional time. You will be in our prayers and I know you'll get through it. You'll whip it!! Keep posting. love you lots,

Morgan

Anonymous said...

Seriously - that gene!! I HATE IT! I have NO DOUBT that you will overcome it, but in the meantime, it will be a rocky road and we will be praying for you the entire way. I'm totally in shock this morning. I can't even handle it. You are going to inspire others - I love that that's a goal for you.
Love you, Brittney!
Karmen

nic + allison said...

Thank you so much for sharing. You never know who you will touch by sharing your experiences. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I have always been so sad that we lost touch after BYU-I. You are such a strong example to me. Keep us posted!

Unknown said...

We might not talk very much, but I still like to keep track of you and your cute family!

Unknown said...

Thanks karmen! This gene totally sucks, but I am grateful I have the information and have been doing my screening. I know I'm blessed!

Unknown said...

Morgan that is so scary! I'm glad he doesn't have leukemia!! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Brittney, Big hugs from our family! Love you! ~Laura Garn

Sheffers said...

oh man Brittany, I am sorry. So glad you caught this in the early stage but no matter what stage it is it still SUCKS! You are in my thoughts and prayers, I hope for a speedy recovery and cant wait to hear the upside of the story in the future.

Liliya said...

I didn't even know you had a blog spot! I can't imagine how hard it is to first go through this and second to share it with everyone. I know I'd find it very overwhelming. We want you to know how much you're loved. You have some nieces and nephews that never miss a chance to mention you in their prayers. You are unbelievably strong!

Liliya said...

I didn't even know you had a blog spot! I can't imagine how hard it is to first go through this and second to share it with everyone. I know I'd find it very overwhelming. We want you to know how much you're loved. You have some nieces and nephews that never miss a chance to mention you in their prayers. You are unbelievably strong!