Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Insurance, the only thing more stressful than cancer!

Dealing with insurance has been a nightmare throughout this whole cancer ordeal. I worked last Sunday and Monday night, when I got up Tuesday afternon I called to insurance to make sure everything was good, since my surgery was next week. When I called the, the "wonderfully helpfull" woman on the other side said they were still processing the claim. It had been about 3 weeks, it should already have been processed. I had to wait 20 minutes for them to process and scan the claim. She called me back and said my whole surgery had been denied!! Needless to say I was livid! Trying to stay calm I found out the denied the right side because they didn't read that I had cancer! They denied the left side because they don't do prophylactic mastectomies! Naturally I started bawling. I called Huntsman right away and they were blown away that I got denied! And I could't get ahold of Ryan becasue he was at work. It was so stressful. Ryan took Wednesday and Thursday off so we could figure out what to do. Huntsman called the insureance, Ryan called lawyers and his union rep. Oiginally the insurance company told us we could appeal the denial and when the board met again for the quarter they would discuss it, but they didn't meed again until June 10 and my surgery was already scheduled for June 2. After 2 very long stressful days, our case was voted on my the union reps through an emergency email meeting! Yes they just emailed the board members. We were supposed to find out Thursday what their decision was but they didn't call us back until Friday morning. Finally approving my bilateral mastectomy. A very smart move on their part! Our nurse coordinator at Huntsman, Jill was truly amazing! She called our insurance several times, faxed Ryan's FMLA paperwork at least 4 times. Her advice if they denied m claim again was to call Get Gephardt and let him investigate this crappy insurance company! When the insurance called me on Friday morning they told me the claim had been approved and they were even approving reconstruction! Seriously, they had to cover the recontruction, but they were trying to make it sound like they were being so gracious! I didn't even bring up the fact that only part of the reconstruction was being done on June 2nd, and that in 3 months I will get the implants! Someone was definatley looking out for us, we have had so many prayers on our behalf and I believe that really helped.

No comments: