Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Recovery, and a sigh of relief!

Recovery has been an interesting road so far. Were just over 2 weeks out, and there have been ups and downs. I was able to go home the day after surgery, honestly I don't remember much about being in the hospital. I remember my family being there and feeling like nobody was talking to my sister Leslie (no idea if that is true) I remember my family left and Ryan stayed late (I let him sleep at home since I was all drugged up and he is much happier when he gets his sleep!) I remember getting up for the first time, I did not feel steady at all. Ryan said I looked so out of it and unstable! But I walked!! I remember the CNA was the nicest hispanic man and he had an accent and sometimes it was hard for me to understand what he was saying. I remember him helping me get up to the bathroom during the night, he would leave the room while I was going and I remember wondering when he was going to come back and how he would know I was ready for him...I remember being so itchy and kept asking for benadryl. I remember walking around the halls twice with Ryan the next day and having salmon for lunch before we left. I know we were changing my pain meds because what they were giving me wasn't working. I probably should have stayed one more night. Oh well, I guess that is what happens when your insurance only ok's a 23 hour observation stay! (seriously!)

Even the first week is a little blurry. I was on a lot of pain meds! I was taking pain meds every three hours and the first night we made the mistake of waiting until I woke up and needed pain meds....we didn't do that again! Alarm set for every 3 hours round the clock. Ryan was the BEST he would get up get me my meds and water, help me sit up, get out of bed and go to the bathroom, and get back into bed. He is the sweetest! If you know Ryan or any Nelson for that matter you know they need their sleep, so for Ryan to get up multiple times during the night and still be so sweet and nice at night and during the day! I love him!!

3 days after surgery when the nurse called to see how I was doing I mentioned that my ankles were swelling. She called back and wanted me to come right in. So back to Huntsman where I was 10 pounds heavier than 3 days before! Yikes!! They said they were concerned because it was so many days after surgery and they expected it right after surgery. Then we talked about my pain meds and how much I was taking and how often, fortunately the surgeons NP came in and switched my pain meds and sent me to the Acute care clinic (ER) at Huntsman. Where I got to explain everything yet again, got an IV and they wanted to give me a liter of fluid! WHAT? Basically I got some pain meds, anti nausea meds because I was feeling so sick, and slept in a hospital bed for 5 hours. Fun night.

Things got better after that! I got one of my drains out the first week which was a little disappointing since I thought I would get one on each side out. Another week with three drains. One more night of nausea. A lot of miralax, water, TV, movies, sleepless nights, awesome husband, family and friends! My exercise has been going to the store with Ryan and straightening up the house both of which seem to wear me out. You would think I would be able to sleep better with benadryl, pain meds and a muscle relaxer, but no. It is really hard to get comfortable laying on your back unable to sleep on your sides with drains coming out of you.

The NP called with pathology results from my breast tissue. No cancer in the left side, nothing in the lymph nodes on the right side, but they found more DCIS in the breast tissue on the right side. She said she didn't think I would need radiation but they may recommend it because of how young I am, but she couldn't give me the final word we had to talk to the surgeon. It's been a stressful week waiting for my appointment with Dr. Neumayer!

Ryan left for his 2 week military training on Sunday the 15th, needless to say the night before I had a little melt down (not the first). Just knowing Ryan was going to be gone, I couldn't drive, Ryan was helping me hold my drains in the shower and washing my hair, I still can't lift my arms above my head or hold anything heavier than a gallon on milk (which all of a sudden seems really heavy). Its hard to not feel or look like yourself. I stayed at my parents for a couple days which was nice, but it is nice to be home too.

Yesterday Tuesday the 17th I saw Dr. Agarwal the plastic surgeon, and got 2 more drains out. That was a good day even though I was a little disappointed that I didn't get them all out. They don't like to take both of the drains on the same side out at the same time. But they told me if the drain still wasn't putting much out I could come back Friday and they will take it out! I can't wait for Friday!! Today I had the much anticipated appointment with Dr. Neumayer. She said everything was looking good and I was recovering well. She said she didn't think I would need radiation adn that I would talk to the radiation oncologist then she looked at my report and saw how far away the DCIS was from the skin (I think) and say I didn't need to talk to the radiation oncologist-I didn't need radiation!! Hallelujah!! I was so relieved.

Now I am just waiting for noon on Friday when I can go back in and get my drain out. Saturday I am going to Vegas for a few day to see Ryan, when I get back it will be lots of wedding stuff for Leslie's wedding on Saturday and Ryan comes home saturday too. I will also start expansion next Friday (I'm a little nervous for that). Thinks are looking good!! :)

Sorry such a long boring post!

2 comments:

Greg and Michelle said...

I don't think this is boring at all! It's neat hearing everything that is happening first hand from you.
Great news that you don't need radiation!!! I'm can only imagine what a huge relief that is!
I'm glad you have so much help and support! Lots of love!

Liliya said...

I am so grateful you're willing to share all of this!! We worry and pray for you daily. I'm so grateful for the good news and progress in an otherwise very difficult and trying time for you. I wish I was closer to come and help:(