Monday, October 20, 2014

2nd revision

Monday the 13th of October I went in for my second revision. Again they called to tell me Dr. Agarwal was ahead of schedule and they would rush me back. This time they actually did a pretty good job, until the anesthesiology resident came in to start my IV. Dang IV's always seem to mess me up! He tried twice and missed. A little bit later the attending came in and tried, he got the second one, but it seemed sketchy to me...so they tried 4 IV's in my hand. :( In case your wondering I don't recommend getting the lidocaine shot before the IV it just messes things up! Once we got that started they got me back! Surgery was pretty short I guess. You would think it would be since they were just switching some implants out. According to Ryan I took a little longer in recovery, but then we got to go home. I figured I might be a little more sore since they put a bigger size in but that basically recovery would be as good as last time. I was wrong. This last week was pretty miserable and crappy! I just didn't feel great for a few days then Friday I thought I might be over it, I actually put on makeup and we went out to dinner! Early Saturday morning I woke up really not feeling well. Diarrhea and vomiting. I can't remember the last time I threw up. It was horrible. Sunday I felt weak but better. I got showered while Ryan was at church, when he came home I was sick again and freezing on the couch with a heated blanket! All this time I had noticed some redness on my left breast and it was a little warmer than the right and a little bigger, I knew it was signs of infection but I was on antibiotics so I figured I would watch it for a few days. After being so sick Saturday I finally called the on call resident on Sunday. He basically told me if it got worse that night to go to the ER, if not get in to see Dr. Agarwal on Monday. About as helpful as you would expect an on call resident to be. I called this morning and they were full but said they would fit me in. We waited at least an hour before the PA finally saw us (I do actually like her). Once we were in the room and I took my shirt off to put on my gown I noticed some leakage. Over the hour we waited in the room it leaked a lot from the incision site. Gross. Leaking pus, I know I am a nurse but seriously that is disgusting! The PA decided to switch my antibiotic since it obviously wasn't working! and went over the options with us. If in 72 hours that antibiotic didn't seem to be working we could possibly have to put a PICC line in and do IV vanco. If that didn't work (worst case scenario) they would have to take the implant out clean out the space and wait for it to heal before redoing it. She also wanted Dr. Agarwal to come look at it, he was is surgery today but fortunately was in between cases and was able to come right over. He agreed to switch the antibiotic, then we talked about putting a drain in. The dreaded drain! We decided that would be the best thing to do right now. So tomorrow I get to go back to the OR where they will put in a drain, see who things look, get some cultures and if they think it would be a good idea place a PICC line. yeah. I guess if I would have just taken what I got the first time this wouldn't have happened!

So now it makes sense why I have had such a crappy week. I go in tomorrow at 1:30. And they want me to stay overnight. I guess I will let you know if I get a PICC line and 10 days of vanco! Today is the first day in a week I have felt remotely good and then tomorrow it will all change again. At least its a beautiful day! You start to think a lot about why all this is happening. Is it because I was vain and didn't like my first results? Is it because I didn't really have cancer, just DCIS and this is payback? I know it just happened. I don't know why. I know it will all be over soon, but sometimes it seems like it might not. I just want to go to work and take care of my sick babies and not be a sick patient anymore! I am like the what they tell you could possibly happen when you go in for surgery. They have to tell you all those things just in case. But it actually happened to me. dang.

3 comments:

nic + allison said...

It will be over soon and you'll look back seeing how far you've come. I'm amazed by your strength! You go girl! <3

Greg and Michelle said...

Oh man what a week!! We will be praying for you tomorrow! I hope after that you finally will feel like yourself again!

Unknown said...

شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط

شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط